At AASI we believe sustainability and environmental matters to be vitally important globally and locally. Environmental responsibility is incorporated into our business strategy alongside our corporate and financial goals as we strive to set an example as an environmental stewardship for present and future generations.
As such, we consider it general business practice to conscientious act in an environmentally responsible way. Throughout all of our operations, it is our intention to comply with environmental regulatory requirements and to promote environmentally sound practices to our employees, associates, and clients.
In support of those goals, AASI strives to:
- Keep waste and energy consumption to a minimum and to recycle wherever possible.
- Establish a reputation for environmental responsibility.
- Work with partners, suppliers, and contractors who pursue solid environmental practices and who exhibit a continuing commitment to doing so.
As part our services, AASI works closely with our clients to make their business more environmentally responsible while making their operations more efficient and profitable by understanding their needs and processes to develop customized solutions to meet their environmental, operational, and economic goals. Together we create efficiency, conserve our resources, and encompass sustainable practices.
30,000 Watt Solar Energy System
As a business in the Sunshine State, we recognize Florida’s best renewable resource is solar energy. As part of our commitment to reducing energy consumption, in 2009 AASI installed a 30,000 watt photovoltaic solar energy system at our headquarters. This system made AASI the largest energy producer in Starke, Florida.
Our system is a Grid-connected solar electric system which converts sunlight directly to electricity for local use and any extra power is fed to the local grid. AASI system has produced more energy than we have consumed. Despite the reverse incentive from the City of Starke AASI continues to allow our excess electricity to go to the grid for others consumption.
As part of our on-going commitment to renewable energy, we support incentives and efforts promoting solar energy including, but not limited to; fair net metering regulations. AASI encourages regulations that firmly define net metering for ALL utilities (including municipalities) and that requires a fair price for excess electricity placed onto the grid. We will continue to support and encourage our State and political leaders to adopt well-defined rules requiring true net metering programs from ALL utility companies. We believe such changes will promote Solar and the use of renewable energy throughout the State.
Fleet vehicles, capable of hauling our mobile laboratories, are a necessity for AASI’s operations. However, as part of the company’s environmental responsibility plan, AASI employs the following energy conservation and efficiency guidelines for vehicle use:
- Drive at or below the speed limit, never exceeding more than 70 mph.
- Turn the vehicle off when not in use.
- Keep tire pressures at recommended values.
- Adhere to all routine maintenance schedules
- Consider fuel efficiency with all new vehicle purchases.
In additional efforts to cut fuel consumption, AASI is striving to use smaller mobile laboratories, resulting in smaller required power units.
Check out our newest mobile laboratory below.
Recycle & Reuse & Replace
To support recycle, reuse, and replace efforts, AASI:
- Utilizes a 3rd party paper recycling company for our paper waste.
- Recycles and/or reuses all waste metal materials.
- Reuse/upcycle parts and components in the maintenance of our equipment, shop, and office.
- Installation of energy efficient lower wattage light bulbs
- Installation of programmable thermostats to reduce or raise the temperature set points during off-peak office hours.